Shelly Keel, CTC, CDW, KPA-CTP, CPDT-KA, CSAT
Shelly is the owner of A Good Dog Day, LLC located in the foothills above Chico, California. She is the only CPDT-KA (certified professional dog trainer) on “The Ridge” and she partners very closely with her local veterinarians, breeders and animal shelter to help provide a unified dog training and wellness service to her community.
Shelly takes great pride in and puts a high level of priority on continuing her education so that she may provide the latest available in training methods and science based information to her clients. Shelly’s most recent educational accomplishment include but are not limited to the following:
- Graduated from the renowned Karen Pryor Academy for Clicker Trainers where she earned the designation Karen Pryor Certified Training Partner (KPA-CTP).
- Graduated with honors from the prestigious San Francisco SPCA Academy for Dog Trainers, generally acknowledged as the Harvard of the dog training world where she earned a Certificate in Training and Counseling (CTC).
- Graduated from of the Marin Humane Society Canine Behavior Academy where she earned a Certificate in Canine Behavior Assessment and Counseling.
- Graduated from of the acclaimed dogTEC Dog Walking Academy where she earned the designation "Certified Dog Walker" - (CDW)
- Graduated from the acclaimed Malena Di Martini Separation Anxiety Internship Program earning the designation Certified Separation Anxiety Trainer (CSAT).
- Shelly regularly attends classes, workshops and conferences presented by experts in dog training, canine behavior evaluation and counseling.
Shelly is a member of the following Professional Associations:
- Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers; CPDT-KA
- Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT); Professional Member #71960
- Association of Animal Behavior Professionals (AABP); Professional Member #364.
- Pet Professional Guild #11737553
- Certified Mentor Trainer for Animal Behavior College
- Certified Pet Evaluator for Therapy Pets Unlimited (TPU)
Shelly is a committed No Pain, No Force, No Fear trainer who employs humane, positive reinforcement training methods based on the latest canine behavioral science. These techniques are not only extremely effective they produce a happy, attentive, eager-to-learn dog. The tools of the trade are toys, treats, games, praise, and life rewards (doors opened, balls thrown, etc.), and the process is systematic, logical, and, best of all, fun.
This science-based reinforcement approach is what animal trainers employ to teach orcas and dolphins to perform; it is what zoo keepers use to get tigers to stand still for vaccinations. Our dogs may be part of the family, but they are not human, and taking that into account when we train them is fairer for them and easier for us—we get better, quicker results, and happier dogs.